The Interdisciplinary Centre for Bioinformatics (IZBI) is an interfaculty research unit of the Leipzig University. The IZBI possesses its own staff, location and administration unit. IZBI promotes research in selected fields of bioinformatics and systems biology and supports interdisciplinary projects with demands in bioinformatics data analysis and modelling.
MAJOR FIELDS OF RESEARCH
- Genetic Evolution to analyse genetic diversity and to use this knowledge for discerning the evolutionary relationships among species
- Molecular mechanisms of gene regulation in healthy and diseased humans and upon ageing. Here we focus on transcriptional, epigenetic and genetic mechanisms and on diseases such as cancer, civilization and infectious diseases
- Differentiation of cells and tissue development
- Development and application methods for the analysis of high throughput omics data, of algorithms for complex multidimensional phenotyping data and of systems biological modeling on molecular, cellular and tissue levels
IZBI invites interested researchers to set up joint research projects with demands in bioinformatics expertise, e.g. to analyse and to interpret sequencing or microarray data generated in their laboratory. IZBI is financed mainly by third-party funded research projects. Therefore our cooperations require adequate funding, optimally in joint projects. For pilot studies we offer our support independent of external financing to establish cooperations on the longer run.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Prof. Dr. Markus Löffler – Full Professor and Director of the Institue of Medical Informatics, Statistics and Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Leipzig and the Scientific Director of IZBI
- Prof. Dr. Jens Meiler – Humboldt-Professor for Chemistry, Pharmacology and Biomedical Informatics, Director of the Institute for Drug Development, Faculty of Medicine, University of Leipzig
- Prof. Dr. Peter Florian Stadler – Professorship for Bioinformatics, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Leipzig
- Prof. Dr. Jürgen Jost – Director of the Max-Planck-Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences (MPI, MIS)
- Prof. Dr. Mario Mörl – Head of Institute of Biochemestry, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Leipzig
- Prof. Dr. Martin Middendorf – Professorship for Swarm Intelligence and Complex Systems, Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Institute for Computer Science, University of Leipzig